November 19, 2006

“Never for money, always for love.” - talking heads

That’s the beauty of college theatre… we don’t get paid but when we can tell a story that touches lives, there’s nothing better.

The Diary of Anne Frank has come to a close tonight. As we bowed for our last curtain call and the audience stood, I had to hold back tears. It was our last show. We had two shows today and both had a full house. What can I say about my family, my cast… words cannot possibly describe their dedication, creativity and love for this show. Every show we’ve done we were all in it to drive the show forward as if we’ve never told the story before. Each time was for the first time. For instance: The Frank family had a “Frank family goal” set as we stood in place before entering on stage. It helped.

It’s so hard right now. Anne is still with me, but I honestly feel like I’ve been removed from my family. That’s how tight we were. Our cast was wonderful. Our director, Drew… well, besides the director I feel like he was a father figure for our cast… our tall, tough-loving Jewish Dad. I learned a lot, that’s for damn sure.

My father in the show, Otto Frank, or rather my friend Dan, both agreed that we kinda don’t know what to do with ourselves. It will be odd… What the hell are we going to do with all this time on our hands!? Homework? psht! Ha… yeah it’s definitely time to play catch up. Only this really breaks it down for me, I see how different life is when I’m involved with a show whether it’s tech work or acting. Life is more brilliant and full of energy! Of course it gets tough, but making it through those rough times makes the outcome of the show that much better. This is why I know I need to be involved with theatre, there’s always room for progress, the team work, and there’s always something else to look forward to.

See, here’s my next question for myself and for Drew (I just laughed at myself): “What’s next?” Sure thanksgiving is next week, only I don’t want to fall out of this high. I won’t let myself. I’m already in line to act in a play with Dan (Otto), our stage manager jeanette, and co-blogger Megan, who will direct us. I’ll write more about that production later.

Wow. So this show is over with, huh. Crazy. I wish it wasn’t. Christ I’m psyched that I get to see my fam tomorrow for strike!

“July 6th, 1942. A few days ago father began to talk about going into hiding. He said it would be very difficult for us to live cut off from the rest of the world. He sounded so serious I felt scared. ‘Don’t worry Anneke, we’ll take care of everything. Just life your carefree life while you can.’

“Carefree…”

« mac truck | Main

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

In high school I remember we were reading the play version of The Diary Of Anne Frank and as an alternative to an essay assignment, the teacher offered that people could build a model stage design for the play.

Posted by: How to make money online [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 11, 2009 02:59 AM

I was in high school and college plays and remember them like it was yesterday. It was a way to portray a different personality and so much fun.

Posted by: Jim [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 7, 2009 09:32 AM

booy u remind of them old good days back in 1998 when i was attending my high school first year

Posted by: mike [TypeKey Profile Page] at March 1, 2010 05:49 PM

Ahhh college theatre! This makes me really miss the good old days. If only it lasted forever.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted by: Homebased Business [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 25, 2010 06:44 PM

I'm a sappy guy. I love the theatre and the title "never for the money, always for love" is appropriate. So what do we do with those that do things for the love of money? Does that mean that they are conflicted internally? JK, great post!

The Best Work At Home List

Posted by: Make Money Online [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 27, 2010 07:05 PM

Posted by: Make Money Online [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 27, 2010 07:06 PM

The important message will be sent to the theatre audience from the title "never for the money, always for love' is teach us to be always professional in our field job. In another words, be expert in your job. That is very good message morality for us.

Posted by: Amin Suar [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 12, 2010 11:07 PM

Nice post. I liked the theatrical production in College more than the movie version.
But neither were as good as the book.

Posted by: Gregr5 [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 24, 2010 11:31 AM

Hi Eve, nice sharing with good inspiration on this post…thanks before, by internet marketing

Posted by: izoelkantor [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 2, 2010 01:41 AM

Aloha Eve,

I completely agree with you that we don't get paid until we tell a story that touches lives.
And the short story you told above did touch lives!

Great write up buddy!I enjoyed it!

Posted by: clip on extensions [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 22, 2010 09:57 PM

Hi Eve,
I'm digging it! ;)

Posted by: joeyguru [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 25, 2010 11:23 PM

Aren't the Talking Heads from the 80's?

Posted by: zachary0611 [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 10, 2010 06:06 PM

I just checked and they are still playing.

Posted by: zachary0611 [TypeKey Profile Page] at December 10, 2010 06:59 PM